Thursday, February 17, 2011

I am one hot commodity.

There were certain experiences and feelings I expected when planning to visit Kenya. From Kaylie's blog and emails, I had a vague idea of how the transportation would go and some of the places we would see. Other information from various sources over the years of Kenya or Africa shed light on other pieces of the trip. What I did not expect though is what a hot item I might be.

Though I have looked quite different over the years, I do not believe it is a huge surprise to anyone who has met me that I am not a professional model. Never mind, that I would never be able to do a tiger or pouty/sultry face in front of a camera without laughing.

Of course, we got attention because we are young white women. More than that, I cannot tell you how many times I heard from people that though my friends Kaylie and Katherine are quite lovely, they are a little too thin and I am much more the ideal. Other than the looks or little comments I got from men, both women and men bluntly told me that I basically have it going on. The best and funniest statement I heard was from a woman while having dinner at her house: "But you...you are very marketable!"

Going from a land where I have little marketability to a land where I am all the rage is unexpected and amusing, somewhat flattering, and a whole lot of awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment